Monday, October 31, 2016

Too much to see in Too little time.

Graves for what seems miles long, ones that are as tall as trees and ones that seem to have taken the same number of years as the person resting there. Seeing a cemetery like this or even hearing about it makes some people's skin crawl.
Me? My senses seemed heightened. I look out at all the grave markers and I think about the cool things I can find and the people I can research and find out about their lives. This trip made me so happy and I was running around like a little girl in a candy shop finding new grave markers, seeing some bigger, seeing some that are more interesting.

The landscape of this cemetery is kind of weird. It seems like families just bought a square piece of land and added some stone with their family name carved into it. Then, they were stuff as many grave markers into it as possible. These family plots would be everywhere and seemed to go on for days. The bridge with over the little pond made me feel petite with how much you could see of the cemetery.
The amount of trees were uncountable and they were all beautiful.











Grave Marker Number 1
This is a mausoleum that was so pretty, I jumped out of the car to look at. This is for the Lipinski family. Since it was locked, I was unable to receive any more information, but this is an amazing grave marker.
















Grave Marker Number 2
The next one is a huge masterpiece that had caught my eye and I just had to go look at it for minutes. This is the resting place of Jacob Birt and his wife Ann Elizabeth Birt. They had lived in the 19th century. Jacob had died in 1876 at the age of 65, and his wife died on 1898 at the age of 60.

Grave Marker Number 3
This is probably my favorite marker I have ever seen. I went to it and had been star-strucked. It is a beautiful piece that just took my breathe away. It is a resting place for the Pinckey family. Including the Captain Thomas Pinckney who fought in the American Civil War. The plot also includes his second wife Camilla Scott Pinckney and their daughter, Joesephine. Also in the plot is his first wife Mary Elliot and their daughter.




Visiting this cemetery is something that I think everyone should do. I also love how much history is here and how much each person meant to society. I loved every minute I was there and will go back soon to visit and look more once the bugs are gone.








No comments:

Post a Comment