Monday, October 3, 2016

Roses, Real Estate, Orphanages, & Influenza

Its 1900. Emil Schweiger was born. He is the first child of two immigrant parents to be born in the United States. Being that his parents were born in Alsace, a part of France that went between France and Germany for very many years, he spoke both German and French. And then moving to the United States, he then learned English. Once it was time for him to start working, he worked in an iron foundry and worked his way up to being a supervisor and gained an abundance of money. He was a super cheap, so he saved all his money.
 With the money, he had saved up, he bought a bunch of property in Middle Village, Queens, NY. Then, he sold off the property, creating a real estate business. With his workers, he made sure that all of them got equal number of hours to keep their families fed and well during the Great Depression. One of the hobbies he had taken up was gardening and over time he bred his own species ofroses,which were bred in my backyard at my old house in New York.
Sadly, my mom did not receive his gardening skills, and kill them off. He died in 1977 from Colon Cancer and was cremated. His ashes went between my grandmother and my great aunt until my great grandmother died.

Margaret Bach was born in Germany/France in Alsace in 1905 but then moved to the United States. She lived with her family until she was put into an orphanage when her mother died in 1918 due to influenza. She never saw her father after that. Her older sister took her in whenever she married until Margaret married Emil. Due to her being poor for most of life, she treasured things that aren’t normally treasured. She had two tea sets that were very special to her. When she died, it went to my grandmother, and then went to my Aunt. When my Aunt moved down south (like my family) she gave one set to my mother. Margaret died in 1990 with a congestive heart failure. She was buried with Emil’s ashes at a family plot in Farmingdale, NY.

Emil and Margaret lived an amazing life together. They had married in 1920 and moved into beautiful home in Queens, NY and had three children. Walter Schweiger in 1924, had four children, and died in 1997. Elaine Fryer, my grandmother and the amazing woman I was named after, in 1931. She had 6 children including my mother, and she passed in 1995. And finally Laurel Rasmussen in 1945, she has 4 children and is currently living in Bethpage, NY with one of her daughters
The tea set my family owns
my great-grandparents on their wedding day.
.

The family plot is at St. Charles cemetery

in Farmingdale,NY and is home to my great-grandparents and my grandparents. Once my great Aunt dies, she will join with her husband’s ashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment