Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Now I lay me down to Sleep...

On September 19, the class took a nice little walk into a brewing storm to look at two local Church Cemeteries in downtown Charleston.

The first church we visited was the The Cathedral Church of St.Luke and St. Paul. This is where most of my photos were taken due to the threatening weather. My first impression of the trip was how disrespectful I felt walking through the sleeping bodies. After about 10 minutes, I was very fascinated by the cemetery that all of my worries were forgotten.

The second church we visited was the St. Patrick Catholic Church. This was a cemetery that made me happy, well at least the OCD side of me. Like stated before, the threatening storm cause me to not take as many pictures. I will say that the design of the cemetery was simple, yet beautiful. I love how the grave markers were mainly all the common headstones, but they were all very very unique and gorgeous. I was very intrigued, which is another reason I forgot to take photos.

Here are the photos from that night. Captions explain the grave marker.

This is a Box Tomb.
The Cathedral Church of St. Luke and St. Paul

This is a mausoleum.


This is a cradle.
This is a bevel.


This is the most common, just known as a headstone. 

This is a headstone
This is such a beautiful grave marker.
 The craving on the stone and the detail of the cross.
 Truly breathtaking. 


This is an urn or pedestal tomb.
A headstone with beautiful carvings.

Beautiful carving of a rose on a grave marker.


A very extraordinary of a mausoleum where the name of the family
resting here isn't even craved into the tomb.
A broken column which represents how the life has gotten cut off very suddenly.

A beautiful craving on a headstone.

A ledger keeping the spirit inside of the tomb
Love how the cravings are very heard to see.


St. Patrick Catholic Church Photos
A ledger made to look like a headstone laying on the ground.

Another craving that is breathtaking on a headstone.




No comments:

Post a Comment